- The Middlecott Sketchbattle Experiment is Detroit’s first-ever automotive light sketching competition and creative community event, where today’s and tomorrow’s motor industry elite will battle for recognition as the Middlecott Sketchbattle champion and a herald of the future for Detroit and auto design. Held annually in conjunction with the North American International Auto Show, the Sketchbattle will feature an epic pool of design talent from the auto-industry convergence on Detroit.Get the full overview on the Middlecott Sketchbattle Experiment blog.Like us on Facebook and get more content here.
- The 1st Middlecott Sketchbattle Experiement took place in the freshly opened Middlecott design studios as part of the Detroit Design Festival 2012.Judges were: Chiwei Lee (Facebook), Camilo Pardo (Ford GT designer), Kyle Evans (sr. Jeep Designer), Chris Turner (Detroit artist), Bethany Shorb (Detroit artist), Larry Erickson (famed automotive designer)
- The 2nd Sketch Battle Experiment took place during the VIP party on January 18th, 2013, and was an exclusive peek into how designers’ minds work. The event was a combination of design contest, art community/industry party, and music show, appealing to a broad crowd of auto enthusiasts, artists, designers, musicians, Detroit locals, and industry vets.
The partnership between the Middlecott Sketchbattle Experiment and the STALA Universe exhibition opened the platform for discussion on how the two fields of art and design can come together to form new modes of communication. This unique fusion culminated in an exhibition and event at the Kunsthalle Detroit museum, illuminating the future of the city as designers used light for inspiration for their artwork.
The automotive-production technology used to design STALA tied into the engines that drive our creative force. At this event, a dozen hands’ creative flow spilled onto paper in pursuit of a concrete representation of light, all the while surrounded by STALA designs recalling the titanic history of the car industry. Having the battle take place within the exhibition further highlighted the power of the automotive industry to illuminate and revitalize the colossal action Detroit is capable of.
- Design in Motion (DIM Battles) with the Middlecott Sketchbattle Experiment
An event for the Detroit Design Festival; bringing together a street art battle, a show car battle and a breakdance battle.
- The Middlecott Sketchbattle Experiement partnered with Designer Night at the Races, an evening of go-cart racing and sketching. GM vs Chrysler vs Toyota vs Ford